Who counted in 2012? What Was Hot ? What Did We Love? Who Influenced Us? Who appeared on our site, in our blog and imprinted on our minds? From photographers to apps, from music to scene-stars the SeenQueen.com End Of Year List pays tribute, recognises and honours those that left more than an impression upon us. This is what moved and shook our world in 2012.
The end of year list 2011 was SeenQueen’s biggest feature post for 2012 as we named and honoured those people we respected, things we loved and post you found favour with…now we present the END OF YEAR LIST 2012.
Welcome to the 2012 end of year SeenQueen.com Lists.
LONDON GAY SCENE MOST 3 INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE
Who moulded, shaped and influenced the scene either in the public eye or in the background in a positive way?
1. MINTY- Minty has been fronting clubs for as many years as we can remember. She has always been a sign of quality, and if given her own way in this challenged clubbing climate, it would still ‘be like’ the old days. Minty is the filter, and even though money is a business goal, she is there like a quality hallmark. A single comment on FaceBook can make or break a venue which we believed attributed to the failure of Blitz which opened and closed within the time span of a comment ‘I am no longer involved with Blitz’. More importantly it’s not the nights Minty is paid to be seen at, but those she chooses to go to. For SeenQueen.com she has always been the reminder of how good clubbing was and how good it could be again.We had to pick three and we believe these three people shaped the gay scene the most in 2012.
2. VERITY MAYES – She is fresh, relevant, young, vibrant and a touch of the underground. Her involvement with the Orange group has injected a bit of youthfulness to the ageing empire. Verity connects with the DJs, the clubbers and knows how to work a social network. Her influence spreads to other DJs in respect music style and on to promoters who are looking to expand or capture untapped clubbers. If Vauxhall had someone that represented the trendy Eastend, but with a council twist…. Verity is your girl. Her influence on the Orange’s approach is now more obvious than ever, her representation on FaceBook being frequent, and the way they present themselves in artwork and design all seems to have a Verity flavour whether she is directly involved or not. While Minty at position number 1 is the quality, Verity represents the current and relevant clubber…it seems sisters are doing it for themselves.
3. MARK AMES– It’s true, XXL is not listed on SeenQueen.com but all that is about to change in 2013. While we have been focused on the ‘old ways of listing’ Mark Ames has been creating a ‘bear’ empire at Pulse which has now transformed into one of the biggest and possible best ‘true gay’ club experiences in London. Reminiscent of the hey days of Crash, with a touch of Action, XXL still caters to the fat club posse, but with it comes the hotties, the fetish boys and the hunks….all due to a door policy that simply points at ‘men’ and ‘gay’. The move to Pulse also pushed XXL into the super-club sphere. Saturday night clubbing for men who want to dance with men can be very limited. Soho is a big attraction for that boutique experience, and WE for that circuit vibe, but for the weekly dose of testosterone XXL is the place. We can see Mark expanding on this as gay clubbers are looking for something that is masculine and gay…and like Crash did… will draw in all the gay tribes once again under a railway arch. Watch this space.
TOP 3 LONDON BASED DJS
1.PAGANO: UKs own Godfather of house. Originally from Italy, like the Romans before him he conquered London and most of Europe easily and swiftly. His own productions add to an impressive DJ resume…combining underground with commercial, vocal with rhythm and circuit with credibility. Master of his own label, Deviate, which is also a club night…he plays as most of London’s clubs and all over the continent.
2. PAUL HERON: Everyone loves Paul Heron! From London’s East End to Sao Paul, this is London’s biggest DJ here and abroad. Paul Heron successfully crosses the political divide in London. His name appears on most major dance clubs, events and parties. Not only that you can hear him all over Europe, Australia, South America and Asia. There isn’t a continent he hasn’t spun on, except perhaps Antarctica but that is only a matter of time. A nice guy as well, his music is eclectic, uplifting, fun, a tad camp, a tad underground but most importantly it touches all he plays to.
3. D’JOHNNY: What other DJ can move to another country and keep all his residencies in the UK plus pick up a few in his new hometown? D’Johnny sound matches the environment…playing mostly for Orange Nation, he is also the club promoter of Detox, frequents the East End and loves to drop grooves in Soho. His vibe is chunky, uplifting, rhythm filled and unmistakingly ‘D’Johnny. Treat him right and you get a world class DJ, treat him wrong and you will hear his voice; but you always will want him back.
Other DJs worth mentioning include Zach Burns quickly becoming one of London’s most in demand DJ talent, Alessandro Londra the lead DJ honcho at Manbar & Rupert St as well as resident at numerous others, Steve Pitron for his most loved podcasts and commercial tinged yet pumping house sets at Orange Nation club nights.
TOP 3 PODCASTS (as determined by user click through)
- PAGANO’S ‘WE PLAYERS’ : http://orangenation.podomatic.com/entry/2012-06-29T07_47_04-07_00
- D’JOHNNY’S ‘LATER PRIDE FUNFAIR’: https://soundcloud.com/djohnny/matinee-fire-london-24th-march
- D’JOHNNY’S ‘MATINEE FIRE LONDON’ https://soundcloud.com/djohnny/matinee-fire-london-24th-march
TOP 3 HOUSE REMIXERS
When we look through many DJs record boxes, certain house remixers and producers names keep popping up over and over again. Sure there are so many, but these ones grabbed our attention in 2012 and featured strongly in our Hit List.
1. CRAZIBIZA – They topped our list last year and they do it again this year with tracks like Show Me Love 2k12, Hard, Keep It Coming. More: http://www.beatport.com/artist/crazibiza/104932
2. TRADELOVE – Funky house infuses with harder edged beats with some top covers and originals. Tracks include Such A Good Feeling, Everybody Get Up, Everybody Be Somebody, Bette Davis Eyes, Pum Back. More: http://www.beatport.com/artist/tradelove/209505
3. STEFANO NOFERINI– He gave us some pumping yet sexy house full of energy, a little dirty and always touched by the funky. Tracks include Double Trouble, Fact, Sometimes. More: http://www.beatport.com/artist/stefano-noferini/16027
TOP 3 CLUBS WE LOVED TO LOVE
This year SeenQueen.com are making important updates to the way we recommend clubs…creating the Alist, Blist, Alternative and Bars. We are taking a broader approach. Clubbing has changed and so have we. For this reason we will not be holding a club poll for 2012…after all if it already recommend by us, then it’s already a winner. Instead we have listd the top 3 clubs that impressed us the most…and made more than several appearance on the site.
- WE Surely the biggest gAyLIST party anywhere attracting all the new possee and all those that used to go out under one roof. While the gay scene seems to be just another choice, WE always tops that choice…
- BEYOND We know, it’s not what it used to be, but BEYOND still remains one of London’s biggest and best parties. It has stood the test of time, and in many ways have become the ‘new Saturday’ night. Drug fucked, or freshly up and high on life…it’s is a mecca for most of London’s gay tribes.
- PLAYTIME @ LO PROFILE Friday night is undeniably Playtime! Hosted by international pornstar Jay Roberts it is an ‘upmarket, sexual and horny’ club night smack in the heart of Soho. Attracting the Soholisters, hookers, pornsostars, hunks…it has a very distinct vibe from other LoProfile nights. The crowd is dick-a-licious, with some of London’s top DJs spinning everything from dirty house to more commercial flavours. STOP PRESS- Playtime and it’s venue Profile closed without notice on January 7th…but it still deserves it place on this list.
Other clubs we found ourself loving….HARD ON….you like it dirty? We know you do. Slip into something a lot more sexier and join them at London’s hottest dirty dance club…get down or go down….CLUB NATION is Lo Profile’s flagship Saturday night based around the good vibes of the Gaydar Radio show of the same name (now closed)….XXL, we don’t know how or why this club has not been listed in 2012, but it will certainly will be in 2013 as the former fat club takes the reign and is emerging as) one of London’s hottest gay clubs (with a gay door policy)…now not just for Bears, and you have to love Pulse which has helped it become more than a bear night.
TOP 3 EVENTS: these parties were some of the biggest and most photographed events of the year.
- HUSTLABALL LONDON 2012…a cast of a million pornstars, the Hustlaball took over the Electric Brixton with explicit sex shows. It’s galleries on SeenQueen.com were the highest visited and many found your way to SeenQueen.com by using it in search engines. Not to mention the Hard On play room, the hot dirty hunks and visual feast it provided us and our dirty brother www.fetishpig.co.uk with (which featured the XXX galleries) http://seenqueen.com/web/club-pix-hustlaball-london-2012/
- .HOTWIRED 2012…this has transformed into world class fetish circuit styled event with some of the hottest fetish men in the world appearing for HOTWIRED only and then disappearing. Our galleries revealed it all. http://seenqueen.com/web/club-pix-hotwired-2012/
- WIG PARTY 2012…wig, stilettos, makeup and a trip to Toyland gave this years Wig Party one of the best atmospheres and costume parade ever. We were continuously stunned by the creativity and our galleries just filled up with some of the most amazing looks. http://seenqueen.com/web/club-pix-wig-party-2012/
EYE CANDY- who we loved to look at and photograph around town and on the podiums.
- NIK RIPLEY– Constant body shots on Instagram and FaceBook, and a beautiful person to photograph, he is a global gogo…Nik remains in our top 3 hotties of 2012. He is just delicious!
- ARCHANGEL GREEN RAY– his smile could melt the icecaps, his arse just too hot to look at and his moves on the dancefloor are an optical treat. Plus he is a lovely guy. He dances everywhere, is photographed by everyone and desired by all…wasn’t the Devil once an archangel?
- JEM PT: tall dark and handsome describes Jem Pt….who is frequently Minty’s arm candy. He looks great in a speedo, has abs of steel and a killer smile. Despite his hotness, there is a shyness to him that only adds to his presence in a club or up on the podium. We clicked him at Profile, Wig Party, Playtime…and he does come highly recommended by Minty.
London was saturated with pornstars from the Hustlaball to Hotwired and clubs like Hard On, Playtime and Gigolo had them host and perform. So who did we desire most…as performers, on podiums, door hosts or been seen in action on your flat screen TV….these porn stars are SeenQueen.com most desirable…we aren’t going to say anything else about them except check thier respective links (those links will not lead you to porn but to thier Facebook pages.
- JEAN FRANKO: http://jeanfrankoblog.blogspot.co.uk/?zx=a02105ce6c9998b2
- ISSAC JONES: http://issacjonesxxx.com/
- BRENT EVERETT http://brenteverett.com/
HOST(TEST) WITH THE MOSTEST- the hosts we loved to love, photograph and see around town.
- MINTY- This girls know how to work a camera and can be seen on the best doors in London, and like we mentioned, usually a hallmark of quality.
- JONNY HOOLEY- seen everywhere, Jonny stands head above the rest earmarked by unique fashion, glamorous style and the warmest personality. Profile was his usual haunt…and the camera adores him.
- CHRISSY DARLING- No one stands out on a door more than Chrissy Darling in his amazing outfits. Snapped at every opportunity…if his on the door it means it’s going to be a wild time tonight….and in case you are wondering which club you are stepping into or falling out of, it is usually integrated into part of the outfit.
Other hosts worthy of a mention: John Brooks fronted Society along with Martin who occasionally steps into the hosting shoes of other Profile nights, Issac Jones sexes up Gigolo, Jode Harsh brings East end and West end together at Room Service and international porn star Jay Roberts is one of the sexiest hosts around at Playtime.
HOT GAY WEBSITES WE USED IN 2012 (apart from SeenQueen.com)
1. www.fetishpig.co.uk –With a passion for fetish, like it’s glamorous sister SeenQueen.com it provides up to date clubbing news, pics, shopping and more. If it’s happening in the London fetish scene, than it is happening on Fetish Pig, with a Google diary ready for synchronizing. They also include their own porn sinema with some of the hottest and dirties fetish films around.
2. www.gayromeo.com- a very popular cruising website, for many Londoners it offer free premium service with groups, community, clubs and free porn download. With some of Europe’s hottest men, a lot of Londoners are using it as a free service…sure it may eventually offer a paid premium service…but jump on board now while the goings good. Apart from the cruising, there is also a social element to the site, not a gay facebook but more a social cruise site.
3. www.discodamaged,com – still providing London with the best over all listings…if you can’t find it on SeenQueen.com we recommend you look there!
TOP 3 SCENE PHOTOGRAPHERS- What would social networks, scene magazines, SeenQueen.com all be without the photographer. They line the outside world to this world and turn every day people into pixel-superstars. These three photographers have impressed us the most, have featured in SeenQueen.com galleries and are the most trusted you can have to make you look fabulous
1.CHRIS JEPSON- he is every where, and everyone loves a pic by Chris Jepson. He has been photographing the gay elites, scene stars and hotties for as long as we remember. From fetish to glamour, from hunky to alternative, when Chris pulls out his lens everyone wants a piece! www.londonclubland.com …check a sample of his work below.
2.NICOPHOTO (NICHOLAS MONTENEGRO)– you will be seeing a lot of Nicophoto work on SeenQueen.com. He snaps at London’s hottest bars and clubs. Nicophoto work stands out as it does not use ‘artistic or photo shop touch up’ to make you look fabulous but good old ‘light-tricks’. More and more people are being pixel’d by Nicophoto. www.nicophoto.co.uk …check a sample of his work below.
3. MARK STOREY- while Mark Storey can be seen in any club or bar where he really stands out is those ‘kinkier’ places and for this he has made out top 3 of 2012…Hustlaball, Hard On, Hotwired, XXL….he has an edge in his images defined by the edge of the subjects in the pics. www.markstoreyphotography.com
Other notable photographers include Joel Ryder who is growing in popularity and has featured in many of our galleries, Oscar Naya Ed who has established himself with a unique photographic and touch up style and can be found at places like Society and Kensington Roof Gardens and David Hart who’s slick, unlined, colourful Gigolo pics remain unchanged from when he first stated snapping them delivering some fantastic high quality and polished images (and lets remember it was he who started the club-based photography phenomena we see today).
2012 APPS WE LOVE & RECCOMMEND
- PAPER 53…a beautifully designed notebook and drawing app. While the basic app is free, to buy different pens and the ability to mix colours, you have to pay additional extras, but believe us…its worth it. You can paint, sketch, write and draw. Create as many notebooks as you like, along with as many pages. So far we have used it to plan our website, as a guestbook, as an idea book, logo sketches and more. It really is one of the best drawing/notebook apps and due to it’s ease of use it inspires and encourages creativity. http://www.fiftythree.com/paper
- SONG POP a highly addictive ‘guess that tune app’ that offers FaceBook integration so you can play with your friends, update your achievements and remind other’s that it is their go. You compete against another player and against the clock to guess either the name or artist of a track from a multitude of genres…points are awarded for correct answers, speed and how many you can guess in a row. The app is free, but for a small fee you can be a VIP which gives you longer clips, higher quality clips, wider choice of genres and unlimited messaging to other players. Genres are diverse such as Eurovision, Far East, 80’s UK, Glee, Today’s Hits, Moder Rap, 90’s Alternative and we have recently noticed genres based on Artists. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/songpop-free/id518042655?mt=8
- MY FITNESS PAL – A new year a new you and this ‘fitness’ based app is a calorie counter of sorts. After a brief introduction of supplying details about your weight and goals, it then sets the goal of how many calories per day you can consume to reach that goal. You can search for calories in a multitiude of ways…and with so many people using the app the data base just gets bigger and bigger. There is also a barcode scan which is easy to use which will give you the calories as suggested by manufacturer. You can change the quantity of the serving which will auto tally what you are eating. The app is divided into meals as well as snacks…and will keep a list of your most consumd foods for convenience. It also includes fields for when you exercise and can couple up as a calorie burning counter which is also included in your tally for the day. The app actually creates a focus on what you are eating in a fun kind of way. You can also add it to facebook and share with friends to show off, crisitze or support. You can also view your progress online.. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
TOP 3 NOTABLE EVENTS OF 2012
- LONDON OLYMPICS…it consumed us, it was bigger and better than we thought possible and this was all followed and punctuated by the most successful Paralympics ever. The opening and closing ceremonies were full of starts, were about the stars, were iconic, quirky, musical, humerous and on a production scale worthy of the country that started the industrial revolution. British athletes excelled, parades were held and it all went swimmingly. Even the weather put on it’s best climate until it was all over.
- QUEEN JUBILEE…street parties, Royal adoration, big concerts, festivals…and the second longest reigning Monarch celebrated the Diamond Jubilee. It was one big party!
- DEATH OF WHITNEY HOUSTON…she recovered and then relapsed from drug addiction…her beautiful voice strained under her addiction and she ended up where most addicts do…dead. Her life was one of superstardom and decline but we will always love her.
TOP 5 POSTS ON SeenQueen.com 2012 (as determined by clicks)
- CLUB PIX: Hustlaball 2012 Pt by Mark Storey http://seenqueen.com/web/club-pix-hustlaball-london-part-2-by-mark-storey/
- CLUB PIX: Hustlaball 2012 by Brent Nicholls http://seenqueen.com/web/club-pix-hustlaball-london-2012/
- FEATURE: SQ END OF YEAR LIST 2011 http://seenqueen.com/web/sq-2011-end-of-year-list/
- CLUB PIX: HOTWIRED 2012 by BRENT NICHOLLS http://seenqueen.com/web/club-pix-hotwired-2012/
- CLUB PIX: HARD ON MAY 2012 http://seenqueen.com/web/gallery-hard-on-may-2012/
TOP 3 PAGES on SeenQueen.com (pages are defined by pages that have original content, are located on a single page and not aggregates of post/page/categories/tags)
- PODCASTS http://seenqueen.com/web/podcasts/
- CLUBBING http://seenqueen.com/web/clubbing/
- GAY GYMS http://seenqueen.com/web/gym/top-5-gay-gay-friendly-gyms/
Top words used in Search Engines to find SeenQueen.com
- Seen queen
- Hustlaball London 2012
- Gigolo Hot 20
- Seenqueen Podcast
- Gigolo London
- Clapham Street Party 2012
- Hustlaball 2012
- Seen queen uk
HOW WERE THESE LISTS COMPILED?
These lists are not compiled by a public vote although consideration of our site visitors clicks were taken into account. They are generally lists are reflective of SeenQueen.com content. The collated data was retrieved from the posts on this site, from the frequency certain names and tags appeared on various social networks and from intelligent data collection across the web and the SeenQueen.com site. In addition opinion and reviews were taken into account provided by you from FaceBook feeds & Tweets. Observation also played a role as well the understanding of politics and how the gay scene works.
Agree or Disagree? Leave us your comments.