It’s that time again SeenQueen.com pay tribute to those that shaped the London gay scene, those we respect, value their work and contribution. Without them the gay scene would be a duller place, and at this time of year we like to show our gratitude by recognizing them here.
Who was hot? Who wowed us? Who made us want to go out? Who did we like to focus and feature on?
We highlight hosts, photographers, gogos, DJs and more. We also dive deep into our stats to reveal what pages, post and pics you loved to click on.
This year we are also starting the Gay Scene Icon recognition, to create a continuing yearly listing that selects one person per year we feel has contributed greatly to the scene and SeenQueen.com and list them on a permanent Icon list…so let’s get on with the end of year list 2013.
ICON 2013: Minty
One of our easiest choices yet. Minty has graced nearly every door worth being on. Her taste has been the gay scene standard for nearly two decades. From the early days of Crash, she has seen and been it all…defining what gAyLIST clubbing was all about. From small intimate bars to massive warehouse style party, her presence was always the stamp of quality. She is a woman that know who’s who, is polite and courteous, but also won’t take any shite.
We are proud to announce that MINTY will be the first person added to our permanent ICON ‘hall of fame’.
WHO INFLUENCED US MOST?
Who moulded, shaped and influenced the scene either in the public eye or in the background in a positive way? Who helped shape and influence SeenQueen.com and it’s content just for standing out, being noticed and who we adored?
(The top 3 in no particular order)
- MARK AMES. Appearing in last year end of year list Mark continues to run the most successful gay club in London at Pulse with XXL. Mark has carved and captured a niche for himself with his men only Saturday night at this relatively new club. Starting off as a bear club with the slogan “one site fits all” it has grown to become one of the most popular clubbing destinations of 2013 attracting all of the London tribes…from twinks, muscles lads and of course the bears. His men only door policy has insured this club has remained gay. In many ways it reminds us of the hey days or Crash way back then.
- MARTIN RAB. From his humble beginnings as a bar man at Lo Profile, Martin Rab also know as Martin “Princess” Rab has gone on to conquer the clubbing world. With the move of the club Society from Lo Profile to Area after the former closed, Martin was the visual front to the club. In his own words he said e tried to “injects some of the Soho glamour” into Vauxhall. Now, Martin has become synonymous with a style of clubbing that has merged Soho and Vauxhall together creating a unique style of clubbing that be typifies this man. Fun, style, recklessnes come together, and when Martin is hosting or promoting more than just Society at one of Orange Nations many clubs/venues or across the scene he has become a hallmark of modern clubbing in London.
- CHRIS AMOS. There is a little bar in Soho that used to be a sleaze pit of a hole. No decent person would want to be seen there. That was until Manbar came along, and under the guiding hand of Chris Amos, has slowly but assuredly carved a niche for itself into the heart of London gAyLISTers. Sure the bar is still under ‘construction’ towards it’s goal, but its full potential is only being realized by Chris Amos who initially had a vision. From promotions and marketing to owner, Manbar continues to develop…creating that perfect bridge between club and bar…a genre of going out sadly diminished in Soho after several closures. With a commercial gay friendly music policy, big hosts and DJs working at the venue, a delicious selection of bar staff and the official Beyond pre party venue…the man has worked, and is working hard, to create a club/bar much like the beloved and missed Barcode Soho and Lo Profile/Profile. On the popular Friday nighter ‘Spunk’ you can even catch Chris behind the DJs decks as DJ AMOX.
TOP 3 LONDON BASED DJS
Which DJs impressed us most and carved their name into the gay scene. Who’s podcasts did we love and who did we want to dance to the most?
(The top 3 in no particular order)
- GSP: From Greece, GSP came to London to be a big name DJ and has slowly etched his way into our hearts. His number one fan “Syliva Rebel’ hailed him as one of the best DJs ever. Landing on his feet GSP has graced the decks at some of the best clubs in the capital including Gigolo, Society and one of his own promotions Play. He was one of the 5 DJs that contributed their time at the Masked Ball Afterlife to help raise money for National Aids Trust. His podcasts are popular and he scored the second most popular download of 2013 from the SQ Music page. We describe his music as accessible and uplifting house full of of anthems, funkiness and bootlegs (including some of his own mashups). We keeping our eye on GSP.
- PAGANO. This DJ has been in our list for the last 3 years. He always plays at the best parties not only here but around the world and the circuit gAyLISTers just love him. He can pump a room within in three records. And he is the DJ other DJs play with a accessible collection of Pagano remixes and produced grooves.
- FABIO LUIGI. He dreamed the dream and now he can ‘Dança,Dança,Dança…Like a GoGo-Boy.’. Fabio Luigi has been one of the fastest rising DJ stars on the scene. Cutting his teeth as a gogo boy way back then in the days of DTPM, and finally ending up on the bar at Lo Profile in 2012/13, it was here he was let behind the decks. His passion and enthusiasm for music is infectious….and his drive and determination has now made him one of the most in demand DJs on the London scene. He plays at all the major parties and events not only in London but also across the globe including WE, The Farm, La Demence, Society and many more. He scored the seventh most popular podcasts of 2013 from the SQ Music page.
- OTHER DJS we also loved include Paul Heron, Steve Pitron (who had the biggest download of 2013), Zach Burns, Norbert M, HiFi Sean and Lee Harris.
TOP 3 PODCASTS 2013
(As determined by click through rate)
TOP CLUBS WE LOVED TO LOVE 2013
These are London’s hottest clubs. We love them for one reason or another, and so did you. They appeared the most on the website and they helped keep London pumping the most.
(In no particular order)
- WE: this party remains the biggest gAyLIST party in London with extravagant productions and some of the hottest clubbers the scene has to offer.
- SOCIETY: After losing it’s home when LoProfile closed, Society moved to Vauxhall and became the Sunday Society. With all the familiar DJs, promoters and gogos transported to the clubbier Vauxhall scene Society injected the style of Soho and transformed Sundays. It success even saw it spawn the Friday Society which is realy a Friday version of the popular club.
- XXL: For us XXL is reminiscent of the hey days of Crash. Originally a ‘bear club’ it now attracts all of London’s tribes which mix and gather under Pulses arches. Men only on a Saturday, it is truly the last real gay club in London.
- OTHERS: HARD ON (dirty, sexy fetish club for those have a darker side), ROOM SERVICE (mid week glamour clubbing in the heart of Soho), BEYOND (gAyLIST Londons biggest export and most popular afterhours)
TOP BARS 2013
London has a wide selection of bars and these bars stood out from the rest for one reason or another.
(In no particular order)
- KU BAR: Sexy bar staff, a small underground club and excellent social networking bought KU tour attention. Twinks, muscle lads and the sort gather.
- RUPERT STREET: With a new facelift Rupert Street and with Boy George droppping tunes there, this Soho bar is hard to miss. With it’s modern styles, lounges and white V.I.P room plus a stylish, Soho chique and clubbier crowd (on the weekend) Rupert Street is one of the scene favourite destinations.
- MANBAR: Transformed from what used to be a ‘sleazy jerk off joint’… Manbar is successful bridging the gap between clubbing and a bar. With top name DJs, a commercial house music policy and a mix of Soho gays, muscle lads and a few of the old crowd, it has been on of the bars we have seen the biggest transformation in last year.
- OTHERS: The Edge (over three stories of stylish drinking space with some lovely bar men), The Yard (in the heart of Soho with a lovely ‘yard’ space for those summer months)
TOP EVENTS 2013
- THE MASKED BALL 2013: This years Masked Ball, which raises money for National Aids Trus (NAT), was the presenters (The Wig Party crew) the biggest Wig Party event ever raising thousands. not only that, it was a photographers paradise with so many creative and attenti0on grabbing outfits on show. One of the years most fun events! >>SEE IMAGES FROM THIS PARTY
- HOTWIRED 2013: This years HOTWIRED was the best one yet. The venue was rejigged and the crowd came from all over Europe. If you are into fetish, or even you you aren’t, HOTWIRED attracted some of the hottest men we have seen (and wondered where did they all come from). Put them in chaps, leather, rubber….what more can we say? The dancefloor competed with massive playroom for attention…and was that a white panel van we saw rocking into the early hours of the morning?
- HUSTLABALL 2013: Pornstars, sexy shows and some of the scene hottest men…what else could you want? >>SEE IMAGES FROM THIS PARTY
TOP 3 HOSTS OF THE YEAR 2013
(In no particular order)
- CHRISTOPHER DARLING: One can not miss Chrissy Darling. His towering height, outrageous outfits and larger than life personality has seen him front the door of most of London’s clubs. Currently he can be seen at Spunk (Manbar) and Popcorn (Heaven)…and was at the MASKED BALL 2013. He is globally in demand too, such is the uniqueness of Christopher Darling.
- MARTIN RAB: If a club was happening, had sexy boys and the hottest dancers Martin Rab has hosted it. Society, District XXX, Beyond, Room Service are to name but a few. If you see Martin Rab hosting, you know you are in for a good time.
- SUZIE KRUEGER: She is the Queen of sleaze and runs HARD ON at Union. The club has been getting a lot of attention of late from those that are looking for they call “a dirty dance club”. Get down or go down, at HARD ON no one judges and it’s attitude free and ‘friednly’ atmosphere is liberating. HARD ON recently has incarnations in Antwerp, Barcelona and Amsterdam all under the watchful eye of it’s mistress. Suzie also is one half of the famous HOTWIRED party, Europe’s biggest leather party and has run some of the most infamous fetish clubs that have come and gone in London and is well know for putting the dirty into the Hustlaball with her now infamous Hard On playroom.
- OTHERS: Minty (personifies quality), Jonny Hooley (glamour, style and attitude in perfect harmony)
TOP 3 SCENE PHOTOGRAPHERS
(In no particular order)
NICOPHOTO: We love featuring Nicophoto’s images…he goes to the best parties, photos the hottest boys and knows how to take a fabulous snap. See below a sample of his work.
MARK STOREY: Mark goes out everywhere capturing the scenes biggest and alternative nights. From sleazy fetish club events to East London cooler than hip underground events…he has snapped them all and we love featuring his pics. See below a sample of his work.
CHRIS JEPSON: Known for more than his club photography, if it’s hot…he’s snapped it. From celebrities, go-gos, men in masks and attention grabbing sexy shots. We love a Jepson snap! See below a sample of his work.
OTHERS: Joel Ryder, that Room Service photographer
OUR FAVOURITE 3 EYE CANDY OF 2013
These boys are not only what we liked to look at but what you love to look at too. On the podium, clubbing or in editorial we just couldn’t keep our eyes off them and more importantly the camera loved them. We have nowords, so we will let the pics do the talking.
(In no particular order)
OTHERS: Issac Jones, Justin King, Diego Sechi, Tom McNally
TOP 5 POSTS ON SQ
TOP 3 PAGES ON SQ in 2013
TOP 5 CLUB PIX GALLERIES ON SQ 2013
These are the 10 most viewed galleries of 2013… to view each gallery in a new window click on the links below.
- MATINEE STARSHIP
- 10 YEARS OF FIRE IN PIX
- MASKEDBALL 2013
- DISTRICT XXX- EASTER & ONWARDS
- HARD ON ARCHIVE- 10 YEARS
WHAT WORDS DID YOU USE TO FIND US?
Finding the website you want all depends on key words, and these are the most popular search terms used by our site visitors, it reflecting some what the traffic destination to our website.
- seen queen
- gay gym london
- seen queen london
- hustlaball london 2013
- seen queen podcast
- seenqueen.com podcasts
- seen queen podcasts
HOW WAS THIS COMPILED?
These lists are not compiled by a public vote although consideration of our site visitors clicks were taken into account. They are generally lists are reflective of SeenQueen.com content. The collated data was retrieved from the posts on this site, from the frequency certain names and tags appeared on various social networks and from intelligent data collection across the web and the SeenQueen.com site. In addition opinion and reviews were taken into account provided by you from FaceBook feeds & Tweets. Observation also played a role as well the understanding of politics and how the gay scene works.
The defined period for the compilation of this list is 1.1.13 – 31.12.13